Discussion week 8 – nurs 6052 | NURS 6052 – Essentials of Evidence-Based Practice | Walden University
EBP is an evidence-based approach to healthcare. It combines best-in-class research data with patient preferences and values to help inform medical decision-making. EBP is crucial in the promotion of high-quality, safe and effective patient care.
Healthcare providers need to follow a structured approach in order to practice EBP. This includes the following steps
- Clinical questions are asked: These include formulating a question about patient care and answering it with the most relevant evidence.
- Finding evidence to support your claim: You will need to search databases and journals for reliable evidence.
- Critically appraising evidence: This involves evaluating the quality of the evidence, including its validity, reliability, and applicability to the patient’s individual circumstances.
- Integrating evidence with clinical expertise and patient values: This involves using the evidence to inform clinical decision-making, while also considering the healthcare provider’s clinical expertise and the patient’s values and preferences.
- Evaluating outcomes: This involves monitoring the patient’s progress and evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention, while also considering the patient’s satisfaction and quality of life.
EBP is crucial in patient-centered healthcare and improving outcomes. It helps healthcare providers make informed clinical decisions, based on the best available evidence, while also considering the patient’s individual needs and preferences. Healthcare providers can use EBP to ensure they provide the best care and maximize patient satisfaction.