When developing a health history, it is important to ask questions that are sensitive to the patient’s background, lifestyle, and culture. Healthcare professionals must create an atmosphere that’s welcoming and easy for patients to comprehend.
Here are five targeted questions that healthcare professionals can ask to build a patient’s health history and assess their health risks:
- Could you please tell me about any past medical conditions you were diagnosed with?
- Are you taking any prescriptions or supplements right now?
- Do you recall any recent hospitalizations, or surgery?
- Could you please describe what your average daily diet is and how it compares to the exercise program?
- Have you ever had a family history of medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease or cancer?
By asking these questions and listening carefully to the patient’s responses, healthcare professionals can build a comprehensive health history for their patients and identify any potential health risks. The information can be used to create a customized healthcare plan that is tailored for each patient, taking into consideration their lifestyle and cultural background.